Wednesday, February 14, 2007

visit to supermarket - nutritional/medical & economical

Today, we took a trip to Associated Supermarket. I went to look at the yogurt section and the peanut butter section. I compared two brands for both yogurt and peanut butter. The brands that i compared were La Yogurt vs Yoplait yogurt and Skippy vs Jiffy peanut butter. While I was standing in front of all the yogurt, I chose to compare the brands La Yogurt and Yoplait because they were right next to each other just like Skippy and Jiffy. I first took a look at the yogurt and asked myself many questions. So I first took a look at the La Yogurt brand. When I looked at the nutrition facts for the raspberry flavored yogurt, the percentage for vitamin A was 2%. Then I took another look at another flavor, which was mango. The percentage for vitamin A was 4%. The cost of the product, La Yogurt is only $0.79. The price of Yoplait yogurt is only $0.89. Then I walked over to the peanut butter section and I walked over to the Skippy and jiffy brand. I looked at the different types of peanut butter they had: original, chunky, low fat or creamy. The appearance for both look the same for me, except for the nutrition facts. When I looked at the different types of peanut butter for Skippy brand, all the nutrition facts were all the same, which I found weird because for Jiffy, all the nutrition facts for the other types of peanut butter were different. The cost was also close just like the yogurt. The cost of Skippy is $2.49 and Jiffy is $2.59. The nutrition facts on the Jiffy bottles were closely related to each other, they weren't very different liek the nutrition facts on the La Yogurt.

Questions:
- Is this how much yogurt really costs?
- Is yogurt expensive to make?
-Why would the percentage of the same brand yogurt be different? Shouldn't they be the same percentage?
- If the product is the same, what's the point of the brand/company that makes it?
- Which brand is healthier, La Yogurt or Yoplait?
- Should all yogurt & peanut butter brands have the same nutrition facts?
- If both products were made differently, would it cost more or less?
- Is the better or healthier one a bit more expensive than the other?
- Does Jiffy and Yoplait costs more because it costs more to make it?
- If La Yogurt added more ingredients to it, would it make it more healthy or less healthy?

No comments: